The Ian Fleming Files:  Operation Armada - Damian Stevenson
The Ian Fleming Files: Operation Armada by Damian Stevenson gripped me by the scruff of the neck and dragged me kicking and screaming, dropping me off breathless at the last incredible page of this brilliant spy thriller set in France WWII. I was immediately reminded of Alistair MacLean's awesome work and this book more than matches those great novels. I grew up on The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and Ice Station Zebra and now as a grown up I have been thoroughly treated to this great spy novel depicting the early war career of Ian Fleming.
With the Germans invasion of France, the British get wind of Operation Sealion, Hitler's plans to invade Britain. The beleaguered French Fleet would make a handy addition to the Kriegsmarine dooming Britain. Ian Fleming is dropped into France with enough gold to purchase the fleet, but when he enlists the French Resistance he is aware of a traitor. He is also ruthlessly hunted by General Bock, a vicious sadist. With its wonderful descriptions, use of military hardware, uniforms, insignia, this book concocts a thriller of FIVE STAR proportions.
This reader cannot wait for book two or the movie.